Art Holiday Accommodation in SW France Details

Wednesday 3 November 2010

PRESS RELEASE




EXHIBITION: MÉZINAIS ET AUTRES PORTRAITS

PORTRAITS OF THE VILLAGE PEOPLE BY RAY JOHNSTONE

Oliver Cromwell asked his portraitist to paint his portrait ‘warts and all’, and I hope my 50 paintings of the people of my village of Mézin and others follow this imperative. I’ve never flattered my subjects, in the hope that my paintings wouldn’t be compared with chocolate box designs.

The works on show consist of a series of portraits of the people of Mézin done over the past few months, including several petanqueurs, Monsieur le Maire, the baker, les patrons des bars, an accountant, the priest and the church organist.

Armand Fallieres is there too. He was born in Mézin and became President of the French Republic from 1906 to 1913.

Also included are other paintings that I have done over the past forty years.

I plan to change the exhibition regularly over the next weeks and months as I paint more portraits. These will be added as they are completed.

You can see the exhibition during office hours at the Tourist Office in Mézin until the end of December.

For further information, please contact Ray Johnstone at:

05 53 97 38 17

ray@johnstonesinfrance.com
(Click on "Contact Us").

1 comment:

  1. Bonjour dear friend,
    Your exhibition looks wonderful. When you paint my portrait though I want it to look like Sean Connery with no warts or age lines!!
    You both look great! Read your blog a couple of weeks ago and saw something about a catapult, and I wondered how in the hell did he carry around a catapult,then I thought it was a 'sling-shot' - I guess they are about the same? Have a great day! jim

    ReplyDelete