Art Holiday Accommodation in SW France Details

Sunday 15 August 2010

JEAN-CLAUDE (WITH DRIPS)


This is a protrait of Jean-Claude, one of the village wags.
It's fresh off the easel, and still wet in parts. (Now that's impetuous for you.)
He is divorced, retired, a grandfather and an excellent petanqueur or boules player.
He also gets on very well with his ex-wife and, when he's not playing petanque, he's in her bar playing belote with his mates.
As part of my village characters series (exhibition details in due course), I was attracted by his rugged good looks and mischievous smile.
I am happy with the portrait I did from a photo I took in the square. And I even like the drips, although almost no one else does. They're there in an attempt to show that:
1. Although striving for a likeness, I am always aware that it is paint I'm using.
2. They demonstrate that chance plays an important role in painting. (Not an original idea, I'm afraid - Francis Bacon said it many, many times.)
Sorry for the lecture, but quite a few people have asked.

For more information on painting portraits, please click on the following link and then go to 'Art Holidays':
ray@johnstonesinfrance.com

Or you can use the La Petite Galerie link at top right.

No comments:

Post a Comment